Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Back to....

Mother's Day Out,

or 'school' to us.

Annette and Charlie go to Mother's Day Out at Sylvan Hills Church of Christ in North Little Rock. Which is where I grew up and just a 6 or 7 minute drive from where my parent's still live. They started there last year.

I tutor students on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the school next door, so it works out well for me to take my kids here, even if it is a 30 minute drive from our house. The sweet, sweet 'textable' teachers I've known since I was young, the close knit feel of a small program, and the Christian care I know my kids receive, all make it worth the drive. And the fact that I drive to NLR to see my family twice a week anyways, it is perfect for us.

We have missed all that goodness over the summer and we are super excited to get back into a 'school' like routine a couple days a week.

Here they are as we were about to board the car this morning:

Annette was excited to go. Thankfully. Because sometimes she gets in her head that she does not want to do something, and then I have to deal with her stubborness and attitude. But, as I was packing her supplies in her backpack at 8pm last night, she said, "Can we go there, now, Mom????"  Glad she wants to be there. Makes dropping her off  until 2 pm a lot easier!

By the way, I am not good at getting places on time early in the morning. Be there by10? We are golden. But 9? I have to reeeaaaly try. And since I want to get the most out of my MDO time, I try to leave the house by 8:35 am. Which means I am late a lot. Unless I pack lunches and backpacks the night before and lay out the clothes ahead of time.  And even then, Annette may decide she doesn't want to wear something, and it causes stress. Luckily she put on her clothes without one word of oppostition. A wonderful thing! Getting out the door on time in the morning..... It's good practice for us for when my Bible study starts back up. Because we won't be late for that. No way:) And good practice for the real school days that are in our not-so-far-off future.

We made it by 9:05 am. Check. I hadn't left a lunch, paci, sippy cup, or nap mat at home. Check. Kissed my happy kids goodbye. Check.

And I was off.

While my kids sang songs, practiced sharing, read books, played outside, ate lunch, and took naps, I got my syllabus updated for my class that starts up in two weeks and emailed all the students. Got some laundry and dishes done. Ran in and out of Wal-Mart in 15 minutes, which would NEVER happen while carting 2 kids. And exchanged some stuff at Forever 21.  Pro. duc. tive.    Love that feeling.

AND, when I picked the kids up, I got some great reports:

Annette's teacher, Mrs. E, said she pottied and slept and played just perfectly. Music to my ears. Especially since last year we had some issues with pushing others. Glad she has gotten over that stage. Love her.

Charlie is still in and out of that Seperation Anxiety phase, so, I was thankful when he we didn't even whimper when I handed him over to his teacher. When I picked him up, Mrs. A told me that she couldn't believe how much he was talking and how hard he played on the playground. Love him.

 Some more pics of them before we left for the day...

As productive and relaxing as my day was today, I really (honestly) am looking forward to a lazy morning tomorrow. And kid-filled activities for the rest of the day.  It's so so nice to have the best of both worlds.

No comments: