Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Righty tighty and other Crutches

I love a good 'crutch'. A rhyme or acrostic or song or association, etc. A helpful way to remember something.

I have taught Annette how to spell her name using a little jingle. It works. She can say the letters in her name. However, she can just write an A, N, and T, but not the e's yet. So, her name is ANT at the moment. Glad we have a few more years to work on that before she will need to sign her papers at school. That S word makes me all scared, sad, excited, and nervous all at the same time.






At the grocery store, I've read, that you should stick to the outer perimeter of the store if you are trying to eat healthy. Made sense once I thought about it. I do pretty good until we get to the cereal and goldfish aisle. And the frozen vegetable aisle and the extra virgin olive oil aisle..... So maybe I don't follow that rule of thumb so much after all. Here we are at Wal Mart, venturing down a middle of the store aisle:)




 
I wish there was a catchy phrase or way to make up a song, jingle, or rhyme to remember everything. Like for conversion charts and such. 

With songs I learned the books of the Bible, the 50 Nifty States, judges from the OT....

-------------------------------------------------------
God sent judges over Israel,
One brave woman, fourteen men;
They helped Israel fight their battles;
led them back to God from sin.
Othniel, Ehud, Shamgar, Deborah;
Gideon, Abimelech, Tola, Jair;
Jephthah, Ibzan, Elon, Abdon;
Samson, Eli, Samuel.

for some of you, you will have this song stuck in your head for the rest of the day now. sorry:)
-----------------------------------------------

I could go on and on about the many songs that helped me learn Bible facts and verses. Love them still to this day, and can't wait to teach them to my kiddos.

One that I do find extremely useful is the righty tighty, lefty loosey one. For replacing a light bulb or to unscrew a toy to install batteries. By the way, what happened to the good ole days when you didn't need a screwdriver to open toys or battery compartments?!?! But that's another subject...


The other day I was saying the lefty loosey one aloud as I was loosening a cap off something. My pal said they had never heard that one before. I was like 'whuuuuttt'!?!?

Another time, Isaac and I were talking and he said Never Eat Shredded Wheat. Again, I was like 'whuuut'?!?! I'd never heard of that way to remember the four directions until I was 29 and like one month old.

These happenings made me think. I bet there are tons of crutches out there that half of us know that the other half doesn't know. And vice versa. So, I'm going to list some of the ones I have used or found helpful at some point in my life. Hopefully y'all can help me add to the list. These would be a great collection. For us to pass on to our kids, and their kids, and generations way down the line....and to enlighten those of us who have been in the dark somehow, missing out on cool crutches like Never Eat Shredded Wheat.


Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally (order of operations)

Leaves of three, let it be.

Roy G. Biv

My Very Easy Method Just Shows Us Nine Planets

When two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking.

6 x 4 fell on the floor, picked it up and it was 24



There are so many. But back to laundry I go. I'll need to go back an add more to this post as I think of more.

Useful junk I love to document. An oxymoron? I think so.








- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

the osbornes said...

tell Isaac that Mrs. Baumgardner taught us "Never Eat Soggy Waffles". I don't know where he got this shredded wheat business! ;)