Monday, April 25, 2011

Live and Let "Dye"

A few things we did to get us in the Easter spirit...

First of all, I found this book at one of the Rhea Lana consignment sales. It's been a great way for me to start explaining the Easter story to Annette. I've been reading it to Charlie too, but he's up and running around after the first couple of pages:)




Dying Eggs
One day early this week we dyed some boiled eggs. I bought a kit at Target for less than 2 bucks. Annette loved watching the color disc dissolve and turn the water different colors. Next year, I will use clear cups instead of the colored cups, so she can see how the water changes more clearly.

She is shirtless and pantless because I already have a pile of clothes on top of the washer that are being pre-treated with dish soap or Shout.





Notice in the next picture I have added paper under the cups. Should have done that first. Luckily, I had paper towels handy for the inevitable spill.




Charlie wanted to get involved. I gave him a bowl with water and let him stir with a plastic spoon. Messy, but it worked out well.




Daddy came home as we were finishing up. They run to the door when they hear his car pull into the carport.



We got out some paint and a paintbrush and 'painted' some of the eggs too. This is because I told Annette we were going to 'paint' eggs on Monday morning before we went to the store to get the kit. I didn't use the word 'dye' because I knew she wouldn't know what I was talking about. But, once we had dyed the eggs and we were putting things away, she said, "Mommy! You said we were going to paint the eggs!" So, true to my word, we got the paintbrush out and literally 'painted' some of them:)






Eggshell Mosaic Cross
On Sunday evening, we used our painted/dyed egg shells to create a mosaic cross. I got this idea from this blog, http://thatartistwoman.blogspot.com/2009/03/easter-mosaic-cross.html

Annette shook the eggs in a pan to get them to start peeling. That was probably her favorite part. Then, I did most of the peeling so I could minimize the amount of actual egg that went into this art project:) The shells sat on my counter until last night, when my sisters came over and helped us get the shells glued down.






Ta-da!
Pretty mosaic cross. Hopefully it won't start to stink of rotten eggs. But, if it does, I'll chunk the actual cross and have this picture to treasure and keep forever and always:)


Handy Dandy Daffodils







Paper Plate Chick

One last craft. I made this chick as an example for our playgroup, but wee were too busy eating and playing to actually get to crafting.

Later at home, I let Annette try to make her own chick. The one on the left is what she came up with. When I asked her which chick was hers, she pointed to mine! When I corrected her, she said, "We can switch chicks." :)


3 comments:

the osbornes said...

so fun!!! I love the cross. I can't believe you didn't post the bunny crackers!

abc said...

"We can switch chicks." HA! I love all your crafts- such fun!

Clay and J said...

Okay, seriously fun! And love those shirtless kids :)
Jennifer